The purpose of the Sudbury Girls Softball League (SGSL) is to provide all Sudbury and Lincoln girls the opportunity to take part in a skills development based softball program, progressing to fast pitch softball (USA Softball rules), in the spirit of fun and good sportsmanship. The overall philosophy of the League is that all girls should have the opportunity to compete, but having fun should be of maximum importance. No girl will be excluded for financial reasons. SGSL is a recreational, non-profit organization that is made up of parents in the local community. Their charter is to guide the direction and continuous improvement of the league. SGSL is a member of USA Softball.
Given the competitive level of play in the summer league, a strong commitment will be expected from each player. Players must commit to regularly attending practices and games and players are expected to:
- Give their full attention to coaches
- Always give their best effort in practices and games
- Practice their skills at home
- Support their teammates in a positive manner, and
- Represent the Lincoln-Sudbury community with respect and excellent sportsmanship at all times.
Spring League Divisions
Minor League: 1-2nd grades
This league is open to all 1st and 2nd graders. It focuses on the following elements:
- Introducing game play (coaches pitch or hit off a tee)
- Continuing skill building (hitting, fielding, catching, throwing, base running)
- Learning/experiencing all positions
There is one practice and one game per week. Mondays 6:00 to 7:30 pm and Saturdays 10:30 - 11:45 am
Junior League: 3-4th grades
The focus continues on skill building, with the introduction of pitching and catching skills. Teams meet three times per week. In the beginning of the season there are two practices and one game per week. After a few weeks, there are two games and one practice per week. Tuesdays 6:00 to 8:00; Fridays 6:00 to 8:00 pm; Saturdays 2:15 - 4:15 pm
Intermediate League: 5-6th grades
League play with more ASA (Amateur Softball Association of America)-based game: stealing, sliding, tagging up. All skills are reinforced, including pitching and catching. ASA is the governing body for most high school and college leagues. Teams meet three times per week for either a practice or a game. Wednesdays 6:00 to 8:00 pm; Saturdays 12:00 - 2:00 pm; Sundays 12:00 to 1:30 pm
Senior League: 7-9th grades
This league brings it all together with a faster paced; ASA-game that includes more specific rules (e.g. dropped third strike, infield fly). Teams meet twice a week for either a practice or a game. Wednesdays 6:00 to 8:00 pm and either Saturdays or Sundays (TBD.)
Clinics may be offered during the spring season to help players continue to build their skills.
Each year Sudbury Girls Softball League honors the dedication and efforts Nancy Lewis made to our town with the honorary Nancy Lewis Scholarship. Proceeds to this scholarship are paid as part of the league registration fees.
Two scholarships in the amount of $1,000.00 each are awarded annually by the Board of Directors of the Sudbury Girls Softball League to a Lincoln-Sudbury High School graduating senior who exemplifies the spirit of Nancy Lewis. To be considered for this scholarship award, a candidate must:
- Be planning to attend an institution of higher learning after graduation;
- Have played in the Sudbury Girls' Softball League for a minimum of 3 years; and
- Demonstrate a mix of academic excellence, good sportsmanship and community service that exemplifies Nancy Lewis's commitment and values